How does it work?
Copper is the most effective touch surface material
Antimicrobial Copper is the most effective touch surface material in the fight against pathogenic microbes, destroying greater than 99.9 % of bacteria within 2 hours of exposure. No other material, such as silver-containing coatings, comes close.
The mechanism by which Antimicrobial Copper inactivates bacteria is complex by nature, but the effect is simple. Science suggests that copper surfaces affect bacteria in two sequential steps: the first step is a direct interaction between the surface and the bacterial outer membrane, causing the membrane to rupture. The second is related to the holes in the outer membrane, through which the cell loses vital nutrients and water, causing a general weakening of the cell.
Experts explain the speed with which bacteria perish on copper surfaces by the multi-targeted nature of copper’s effects. After membrane perforation, copper can inhibit any given enzyme that ‘stands in its way’, and stop the cell from transporting or digesting nutrients, from repairing its damaged membrane, from breathing or multiplying.
It is also thought that this is why such a wide range of microorganisms is susceptible to contact action by copper.Learn more
Three main characteristics make Antimicrobial Copper the most effective touch surface material.
- Efficacy as an antimicrobial is scientifically proven to be far more effective than silver-containing coatings
- Proven to continuously destroy the microbes that cause infections
- The only solid antimicrobial touch surface approved by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Continuous and ongoing antimicrobial action
- Remains effective even after repeated wet and dry abrasion and re-contamination
- Natural oxidation does not impair efficacy
- Not harmful to people or the environment
- Inherently antimicrobial, no chemicals added
- Completely recyclable